Monday, December 11, 2017

when cryogenics becomes more appealing than a toaster oven

So, we had our company party this past Saturday.

I had fun for the most part. The event was held in a Lebanese resto with middle eastern food served on communal plates allowing us all to try a variety of different things. A few of us were surprised by this, by not having a principal meal, others were pleased by this, allowing for the tasting of a variety of different things. I felt ambivalent about the idea and ended up liking about two thirds of what was offered, having tried everything at least once. I got to sit across from one of my coworkers and to my left was the sister of one of my more distant coworkers. I think the interactions I had with each of them were probably the highlight of the evening for me.

I was MC with another person and the plan we had was only partially used, but that was okay - we figured that we would have to adjust based on how the evening passed. I haven't yet received any specific feedback about this, so I do not know if it went well, or did not go well, but I don't think it was terrible.

There were moments on the dance floor where I relished in just being there, doing my own thing, as often I do. There were also moments where I felt outcast as I watched others dancing in a communal coalescence. These latter feelings were fleeting but acute and had me moderately bewildered, sufficiently that it stuck with me - the questioning as to why I should feel this way.

I left the event perfunctorily, sharing a cab away from the resto with whomever was also leaving at the time. I found out today that an hour after I had departed was when the event wound down, so I ended up staying almost to the end.

Two more weeks of work, and then I have the week off between Christmas and New Years, so I'm looking forward to getting a break, though it won't be a peaceful break.

No comments: