Monday, September 26, 2011

a small part of the city I live in

So, I decided to take some photos today, bear with me, there are a lot. Note that you can click on any of the photos to get a larger version.

The entrance hallway into the building where I work is two levels high and very ornate. The first three photos give you some idea of it.




Here is the front door - the building is called the Hermes Building.


Here is the same building showing more of the 11 storeys that it is.


A restaurant just a few buildings down has this bright paint job.


Then we get to this very gothic looking building with lots of character.


Here's a closeup of the door showing a coat of arms and the gate that at one time would have protected the front door when it was lowered.


Carlos & Pepes is a pretty good Mexican restaurant, though I haven't been there in quite some time.


At the corner of Peel and Ste-Catherine street, looking south-west we can see the CIBC tower.


At that same corner looking north-west we see this stately building.


Just a few steps south of Ste-Catherine street, still on Peel, standing on the east side facing the west side is this large advertisement in the window.


Walking further still, on the east side of Peel is this entrance to this building.


The large building in the foreground is the Sun Life building. It has been used in a few movies and is well known for its architectural history. Behind it on the left side is Place Ville Marie, a building that once held the title of being the tallest in Canada.


Ah, the Peel Pub - had I been a beer drinker when I was in University, this would have been a very common place for me to have been.


Who is this guy?


Ah, that's who he is. That text below belongs in one of my own nonsense posts.


The Queen Elizabeth Hotel was for a long time a very posh hotel, now it is old and posh. In the foreground is Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral with a bunch of statues along the top of the front.


This glass building is impressive for its ability to reflect the entirety of other buildings within it.


This is that same CIBC building but from right up close.


Walking along Rene-Levesque now, this for a short period held the title of being the tallest building in the city, I think.


This CGI building does a great job of reflecting the other building.


Another random building.


Welcome to the Bell Centre, where the Montreal Canadiens play, and where concerts of various kinds are performed.


Upon closer inspection we see that held within the Bell Centre is an AMT station - this is where I arrive in the morning from the train, and where I take the train home at night. We can also see some statues that pay hommage to past Canadiens. Two years ago the Canadiens celebrated their 100th anniversary, so they built this square.


Four impressive players are memorialized in this square...


...including Jean Beliveau.


5 comments:

Debstar said...

Wow, great photos. I like the gothic building the most.

Phil Plasma said...

I only noticed after I brought the photo home that in that gothic building, a shield in the upper right is also Robbie Burns. Who knew?

mez said...

Awesome. I love your city, btw.

Ahuva said...

Great photos!
My route to work has nothing to compare :-).

Sanorita said...

Very nice blog you have i really like what you wrote here.Keep it up with good work.